There are many projects that exist on the Internet and very few that are optimized for search engines. This is why it is always necessary before starting to carry out any type of SEO action to carry out a quick SEO analysis to assess the status of the project to later know what actions to carry out. The advisable in any case is to carry out a Complete SEO Audit of the Site, but with these steps that I am going to explain you will be able to make a quick SEO analysis in 20 minutes of a Site to know what you are facing.
Before starting with the steps that should be followed when performing an SEO Analysis, I will show you the tools that will be used to perform this analysis:
Performing an SEO Analysis in 20 minutes
The main points that should be taken into account when conducting a small SEO audit are the following:
- Traffic State / Visibility
- Duplicate content
- Basic aspects of SEO on Page
1. Indexing How far is Google coming from?
In this section I will show you how to analyze each and every one of the URLs of your site, find any type of blocking or tracking error and which are the most important meta-tags that are being used in a project. For this I will use several tools that I mentioned at the beginning.
➤ USING SEARCH CONSOLE
Robots.txt: To analyze the robots.txt file you simply have to access: dominio.com/robots.txt. In addition you can also buy the accesses that this file is blocking from Search Console.
Sitemap.xml: Also within this Google tool you can check the status of the Sitemap.xml, see if it is uploaded, check that there are no errors and identify how many real URLs are being sent to Google.
➤ USING THE SEARCH OPERATOR: SITE
This section is very simple, you must simply access Google and using the search operator “SITE:” the search engine itself will show you a very approximate number of the URLs that are indexing your site. In the upper image you can see an example.
This data must contrast with the data of your Sitemap.xml, of which we have spoken previously, to know if it is an approximate, superior or inferior data. Depending on the result of this check you will know if you have one problem or another:
- Approximate data: If the data thrown by Google is very close to your Sitemap, then you are on the right track.
- Superior Data: If you detect that the data is much higher, you are probably facing a website that has Duplicate Content that must be identified and corrected.
- Lower Data: If the data is lower you have an indexing problem, so you have to identify which URLs are not being indexed and why.
USING SCREAMING FROG
With Screaming Frog, several important checks are going to be carried out in order to know the URLs “that you do not want to index”, the error codes that respond to the pages, and even how many URLs have a canonical implemented.
- Meta-Etiquette Robots (noindex): With Screaming Frog you must analyze which are the URLs that in the meta robots tag contains a noindex, this option is in the Directives tab and by applying the noindex filter. With this you will know which are the URLs that are not being indexed because that de-indexing is being forced.
- Canonical implementation: It is important to check the canonical URLs, which ones and how many are and this is very simple to do with Screaming Frog, simply in Configuration >> Spider we uncheck all the boxes and select only “Crawl Canonicals”. With this we will obtain the real number of URLs that our project must show to Google.
This step is important, since it is convenient to contrast this data with the Sitemaps uploaded to Search Console to verify that the web does not present any problem that has to be solved. You can also use the option to show only URLs in HTML in Screaming Frog, which will give you an approximate result of the URLs that really have to be indexed.
2. Traffic State and SEO Visibility
In this section you should check the traffic of the project, if in the last months it is increasing, decreasing or stable, in addition you must also check that the Site has not suffered any penalty, even what its visibility with respect to its direct competitors.
➤ USING GOOGLE ANALYTICS
Using this tool you must take into account the following points to get clear information about the traffic of the project and the behavior of users on the site:
- Filter the Organic Traffic by Destination Page: With this you will be able to know which are the pages of your project that receive the most traffic.
- Check the Bounce Rate: Filtering by organic traffic, it is also important to check the bounce rate that exists in the different pages of the project when users come from Google.
- Average time of stay per session: Another important fact that will make you get good ideas from the project will be to know what is the average time of users on the different pages when they come from Google.
With Sistrix you can quickly check 2 essential aspects regarding the project:
Visibility with respect to direct competitors: It is important to know what you are going to face, that is why tools like Sistrix will help you to know the visibility of the Site with respect to its direct competitors.
Has the Site been penalized? You can also check if the Site has had any penalties over time, if the penalty persists, if it has recovered some of its traffic, etc. You just have to click on options (cogwheel on the right) and click on “show more events” and you will know which algorithm updates have affected you most and which ones less.
SEMrush, is another tool that you should use when checking the status of a Site before you start working on it. This tool will show you how the project is in the Rankings, which keywords are better positioned and which are worse. Also, if the project is ranking for a number of considerable keywords it will show you the real competitors of the project you are analyzing.
It is very important to check the duplicate content of any Web project, but when you are doing a quick SEO analysis and we have tools that allow us to make an approximate assessment of this.
➤ USING SEARCH CONSOLE
Using Search Console you can quickly detect if you have duplicate meta title and description tags, in addition to seeing any other type of HTML error within the Site that we are analyzing.
To access this information you must simply access the Search Aspects >> HTML Enhancements section.
➤ USING SCREAMING FROG
Once again we went to Screaming Frog, the URL analysis tool par excellence (I will soon make a complete and advanced tutorial). With this tool, duplicate content is easily detected. Simply add the URL of the project to be analyzed and go to the URI tab and activate the “duplicate” filter. You can also export all this information and contrast it with the one summarized in the previous point.
4. Checking the status of the Basic Aspects of SEO On Page
This is the last part of this quick analysis, in which you should quickly check the most basic and relevant on page aspects. Here I recommend you check 3 types of pages separating by level of importance:
- Home of the Project
- Categories pages
- Products Pages
Here the differentiation by type of pages should be done by you, an Ecommerce is not the same as a Services page as a Blog, being the product page of an ecommerce similar to a Service page in the case that it was a page of Services. For this example I have taken as an example an Ecommerce.
USING THE DEVELOPER WEB EXTENSION
Undoubtedly, one of the tools that I like the most when analyzing any page quickly. This extension that is available for both Chrome and Firefox, has many options to gut any type of page, but in this post I’m going to focus only on 2 features of the tool that will help you quickly check 2 important aspects of any page.
- Checking Headquarters Jearquia (Headings): A fundamental part of any page is having the Headings hierarchy correctly structured. To analyze the different pages you simply click on the extension and on the “Information” tab select the option “View Document Outline”. This will show you the complete jearchy of this page and you can evaluate if the status of it quickly and visually.
- Checking the Alt tag of the images: Another important part and that thanks to Web Developer we have it with a single click is to analyze the text Alternative of the images. For this you simply click on the extension and on the tab “Images” select the option “Display Alt Attributes”. With this you will be able to find out quickly and visually the ALT status of the images of each of the pages you analyze.
A tool that I leave here as a bonus and with which you can get an idea of other 2 important data:
- Keyword Density: Entering the SEOQuaque Extension and clicking on the “DENSITY” option you will find all the information about the densities of keywords according to the extension, that is, 2 words, 3 words or even 4 words.
- Prominence of the word Password: Another very useful information that will give us clues about how the keywords are working and in what position of the text that word is being placed. The prominence must be kept in mind, at least for the time being. You can find this option in the same window as the previous option.
- *** You can download the SEOquake extension from here: http://www.seoquake.com/
If you remember, at the beginning of this section I have recommended you to work and analyze 3 types of pages: Home, Categories / Labels, Product Data Sheets. This is done to perform a quick analysis like the one I am showing you, since analyzed 2-3 types of pages, normally all the others will have the same pattern and the same errors.